Alberta Vital Statistics maintains and keeps record of all deaths that take place within Alberta. They are only authorized to issue certificates for events that have taken place in Alberta. If you require a copy of a death certificate from somewhere other than Alberta you will have to contact that jurisdiction directly.
If the record you are looking for cannot be found an automatic 3 year search is carried out.
Types of Certificate
Death Certificate – Contains the deceased’s name, sex, age, date of death, place of death, marital status, usual residence, registration number, registration date and the date of issue
Medical Death Certificate – a copy of the medical death certificate signed by the attending physician or medical examiner
Photocopy of Registration – a photo copy of the original registration of death
Search Letter – will state whether or not a death is registered, no other details will be provided.
You must meet one of the eligibility requirements
You must provide proof of the eligibility
Provide photo ID
Have the Death Certificate Application (PDF) completed
1. The deceased person’s executor, personal representative or estate administrator.
2. An Adult Next of Kin of the deceased person.
3. A person who was the Guardian of the deceased person just before the death as
established by court documents or legislation.
4. A person who was the Trustee of the deceased person just before the death or is the Trustee of the deceased’s estate as established by court documents or legislation.
5. An individual who has an Alberta Court Order that states he/she may make an application for a particular certificate/certified copy of a Registration of Death.
6. A person who was a Joint Tenant with the deceased just before the death.
7. A Designated Agent on behalf of an eligible applicant #1 to #4.
8. An Adult Relative
Can only apply if there is no one to apply under #1, 3, or 5 and there is no one
living under #2
9. A Lawyer acting on behalf of any of the above eligible applicants #1 to #6 or #8, when obtaining the death record is required as part of the service the lawyer is providing.
To download PDF documents, right-click and select ‘save as’ and save to your computer.
PDF documents must be opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader, not in your browser.